Photo: More Than A Lawn Ornament, the “Liberty Bell”

Today the “Liberty Bell”, cast c 1918 by the Love Brothers Foundry, rests serenely at the Tanner House campus. But on November 11, 1918, enthusiastic Aurorans, spontaneously celebrating the end of the war, hoisted it on a truck and drove it noisily around town. Shortly thereafter it was installed on a tall tower at the GAR Memorial Hall and, later, in the 1960s, was donated to the historical society. Now it rests on a much shorter tower and the children of Aurora ring it every Fourth of July.